Can the symptoms of motion sickness mimic other conditions?

Some of the symptoms of motion sickness may mimic those of pregnancy-related morning sickness, viral illnesses, cardiovascular conditions, inner ear disorders, neurological problems or other conditions.

For example, although dizziness is a common feature of motion sickness, it also can occur when the brain does not receive enough blood or when a person is dehydrated. Dizziness also could be a feature of a cold, the flu or allergies. Extreme stress or anxiety may produce feelings of lightheadedness in some people, as well.

Likewise, a variety of conditions may contribute to nausea and/or vomiting, including viral illnesses, food poisoning, side effects from chemotherapy, migraine headaches, morning sickness, excess alcohol intake and certain medications.

However, if your symptoms are limited to times of travel, it's less likely that they are caused by these other conditions.

Continue Learning about Motion Sickness

What are common triggers of motion sickness?
Motion sickness may be provoked by a variety of triggers, the most common of which is travel. Tr...
What are the symptoms of motion sickness?
The most common symptoms of motion sickness include dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. People suff...
How can I stop my motion sickness?
Common symptoms of motion sickness are nausea and dizziness. In this video, Dr. Oz gives some he...
What can I do to prevent or minimize motion sickness?
Once motion sickness symptoms have set in, it's much harder to regain equilibrium. The best plan...