What is morning sickness during pregnancy?

In the first trimester hormone changes can cause nausea and vomiting. This is called "morning sickness," although it can occur at any time of day. Morning sickness usually tapers off by the second trimester.

Eat 6 to 8 small meals instead of 3 large meals to keep your stomach from being empty Don't lie down after meals Eat dry toast, saltines, or dry cereals before getting out of bed in the morning. Eat bland foods that are low in fat and easy to digest, such as cereal, rice, and bananas Sip on water, weak tea, or clear soft drinks. Or eat ice chips Avoid smells that upset your stomach

Call a doctor if

You have flu-like symptoms, which may signal a more serious condition. You have severe, constant nausea and/or vomiting several times every day.

This information is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Morning Sickness & Pregnancy

What are ways to reduce nausea during pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Taking your prenatal vitamins before bedtime instead of in the morning is one way you can combat...
What drugs are safe for treating pregnancy-related nausea?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
As a midwife, I have prescribed Phenergan, Zofran and a combination of vitamin B6 and unasom for my ...
What Are Ways to Reduce Nausea During Pregnancy?
How Can I Relieve Morning Sickness During Pregnancy?