Why does my doctor want me to see a psychiatrist for my Morgellons disease?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Morgellons Disease is a systemic disease characterized by a chronic fatigue illness with systemic symptoms such as joint aches, muscles aches, headaches, insomnia, and depressed immune system. The skin manifestations include multiple skin lesions especially in areas with hair as well as emergence of fibers, seed-like substances, and in some cases, bugs. Other organ systems are frequently involved including a variety of neurological symptoms. Therefore, it requires a more holistic approach to this systemic multi-system disease.

Some of the most pronounced symptoms of Morgellons disease, outside of the skin rashes and lesions, are behavioral. People with the symptoms of Morgellons disease report fatigue, behavioral changes, and inability to concentrate. A psychiatrist or psychologist may be able to help ease some of these symptoms, through medication or therapy. Also, the symptoms of Morgellons disease mimic other, more common conditions, most notably schizophrenia. Your doctor may want to rule out the other, more probable diagnoses before determining that Morgellons disease is causing your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Morgellons Disease

What type of doctor should I see for my Morgellons disease?
If you suspect you may have Morgellons disease, first make an appointment with your primary care or ...
How long does Morgellons disease last?
Morgellons disease is not widely accepted by the medical community as an actual disease, so no one r...
How common is Morgellons disease?
Because Morgellons disease is not a widely accepted diagnosis, no one is sure how many people actual...
How many people suffer from Morgellons disease?