What is Morgellons disease?

Farzanna S. Haffizulla, MD
Morgellons disease falls under the umbrella of a set of psychiatric based diseases with somatic or "body" manifestations called "delusional parasitosis." There has been some argument that Morgellons has a true undiscovered infectious cause and is not psychiatric in nature. This is still under investigation. Symptoms may include skin itching, burning, tingling, biting or a sense or "formication" or a feeling of insects crawling on the skin.
Proper clinical history taking, physical exam, psychological evaluation and lab testing is important to rule out an organic basis of a patient's symptoms before arriving at a diagnosis such as Morgellons.
Morgellons disease was investigated as a mysterious skin condition that caused skin rashes or crawling sensations on the skin. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has concluded that this is not an actual distinct disease. Those suffering with symptoms may have another ailment and should ask for medical advice if they are bothersome.

Continue Learning about Morgellons Disease

What should I do if my doctor does not believe I have Morgellons disease?
Morgellons disease is not accepted among most medical professionals as an actual disease, so it is v...
What type of doctor should I see for my Morgellons disease?
If you suspect you may have Morgellons disease, first make an appointment with your primary care or ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with Morgellons disease?
The most important thing you need to do when you are caring for someone with Morgellons or any disea...
How common is Morgellons disease?
Because Morgellons disease is not a widely accepted diagnosis, no one is sure how many people actual...