What is Lamictal?

Lamictal is a prescription medication containing the active ingredient is lamotrogine used to control or prevent seizures caused by epilepsy or Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in people older than two years of age. Lamictal is an anticonvulsant medication and is usually taken with additional antiepileptic medications. Lamictal works by decreasing abnormal activity in the brain. This medication may also be used to control the mood swings characteristic of bipolar disorder in people older than 18 years of age.

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

Lamictal (lamotrigine) is a prescription anti-convulsant drug.  It can be used alone or in combination with other medications to treat seizures in adults and children over the age of 2.   It has also been used to treat  mood swings in adults with bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about Mood Stablizing Agents

How can prescription mood-altering drugs affect my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Prescription mood-altering drugs, such as anti-anxiety agents, antidepressants, and sedatives, have ...
What should I know before taking carbamazepine?
Your doctor will need to do blood work, liver tests, and a urine analysis before starting treatment....
An Easy Way to Boost Exercise Endorphins
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood