What are possible risks of Lamictal?

The primary risk of Lamictal is a very serious skin reaction called Steven's Johnson Syndrome. This can progress to a life-threatening rash called toxic epidermal necrolysis. When the drug was first approved, the rate at which doses were increased was rather aggressive, and this resulted in approximately a 1% incidence of this side effect in adults. More recently, slower dosage adjustments have become the norm, and I think the rate of this side effect is much lower, though data is hard to come by.

It is important to note that children are more likely to develop Steven's Johnson Syndrome and particular caution is needed in this population, but the drug has great utility in this age group and should not be rejected out of hand because of this risk.

Continue Learning about Mood Stablizing Agents

What should I know before taking carbamazepine?
Your doctor will need to do blood work, liver tests, and a urine analysis before starting treatment....
What is carbamazepine?
Carbamazepine (Tegretol) is a drug that was originally developed to treat epilepsy. It can also reli...
Eat Cereal for Breakfast, Be Happy All Day
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood
Avoid These Bad Fats for a Better Mood