How does molybdenum help keep my body healthy?

Molybdenum is an essential trace element required for the activity of several enzymes, including an enzyme that’s involved in the body’s production of genetic material and proteins; another that helps the body produce uric acid, which helps eliminate waste; and a third that helps the body detoxify sulfites, which are found in protein-rich foods and used as chemical preservatives in some foods and drugs. Certain people are extremely sensitive to the sulfites used as additives and have trouble breaking them down, which causes a toxic buildup in the body and can lead to asthma and other life-threatening breathing problems.
A normal healthy diet generally contains sufficient molybdenum to meet a person's daily needs. Usually, there is no need to seek additional quantities of the mineral. Molybdenum is a key part of the enzymes that help to maintain the flow of iron from the liver to the rest of your body's organs. It also is a part of some enzymes that help to break down fats and carbohydrates.

Continue Learning about Molybdenum

Who should not use molybdenum?
Molybdenum supplements should not be taken to prevent molybdenum deficiency.  Instead of taking supp...
Should I take molybdenum if I have a copper deficiency?
Molybdenum, in large enough amounts, can cause your body to lose copper. Therefore, if you have a co...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking molybdenum?
Yes, you should let your doctor know if you are planning to take molybdenum supplements. Because...
Does molybdenum really work?
Molybdenum is a key part of the enzymes that carry iron from the liver to other organs and also help...