How does molybdenum help keep my body healthy?

A normal healthy diet generally contains sufficient molybdenum to meet a person's daily needs. Usually, there is no need to seek additional quantities of the mineral. Molybdenum is a key part of the enzymes that help to maintain the flow of iron from the liver to the rest of your body's organs. It also is a part of some enzymes that help to break down fats and carbohydrates.
Molybdenum is an essential trace element required for the activity of several enzymes, including an enzyme that’s involved in the body’s production of genetic material and proteins; another that helps the body produce uric acid, which helps eliminate waste; and a third that helps the body detoxify sulfites, which are found in protein-rich foods and used as chemical preservatives in some foods and drugs. Certain people are extremely sensitive to the sulfites used as additives and have trouble breaking them down, which causes a toxic buildup in the body and can lead to asthma and other life-threatening breathing problems.

Continue Learning about Molybdenum

What is the best way to take molybdenum?
The best way to take molybdenum is in a balanced diet. If your diet prevents you from receiving the...
What are some foods that are natural sources of molybdenum?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Currently, data on molybdenum content from foods is scarce. Cases of deficiency or toxicity have not...
Who should use molybdenum?
Molybdenum is a mineral that everybody needs for growth and health, but necessary amounts of it usua...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking molybdenum?
Yes, you should let your doctor know if you are planning to take molybdenum supplements. Because...