How does my body get deficient of molybdenum?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

A molybdenum deficiency has been suggested as a cause of sulfite sensitivity since the enzyme that detoxifies sulfites, sulfite oxidase, is molybdenum-dependent. However, molybdenum deficiency is rare, likely due only to a genetic sulfite oxidase defect or during long-term total parenteral nutrition therapy, where nutrients are administered intravenously only. The average diet contains 50 to 500 mcg of molybdenum per day. Legumes and whole grains are the richest sources of molybdenum.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Molybdenum

Who should not use molybdenum?
Molybdenum supplements should not be taken to prevent molybdenum deficiency.  Instead of taking supp...
What is molybdenum used for?
Molybdenum works to transfer iron from the liver to other organs in the body, preventing anemia and ...
Should I take molybdenum if I have a copper deficiency?
Molybdenum, in large enough amounts, can cause your body to lose copper. Therefore, if you have a co...
What is the best way to take molybdenum?
The best way to take molybdenum is in a balanced diet. If your diet prevents you from receiving the...