Why do moisturizers use occlusives in their formulation?

Moisturizers will often incorporate oily substances called occlusives, such as petrolatum, in their formulations to boost skin's ability to hold onto moisture by creating a film over the skin's surface to trap water in. This film smoothes the skin and also creates a barrier that helps to prevent moisture loss.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

What ingredients should I look for in an after shaving moisturizer?
Look for moisturizing products that are non comedogenic, meaning they won't clog pores. 
Why does my moisturizer contain lanolin?
Lanolin is a natural oil. It is a common component of moisturizers and lotions for preventing or tre...
Why do moisturizers use both humectants and occlusives?
Moisturizers use humectant ingredients, such as glycerin, to draw water from the surrounding environ...
What is an emollient?
An emollient is a type of ingredient that softens the skin and smoothes its surface.