Why do moisturizers use humectants in their formulation?

Moisturizers use humectant ingredients, such as glycerin, to draw water from the surrounding environment and lock it in. Humectants also help to hold onto water that is applied directly to the skin. In addition, your surface skin cells actually contain natural humectants, called Natural Moisturizing Factors (NMF), which bind to the water that skin produces and keep it in place.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

Can I use a moisturizer that contains oat protein if I'm allergic to oats?
If you have a known allergy to oats, you'll want to play it safe and steer clear of skin moisturizin...
What ingredients should I look for in an after shaving moisturizer?
Look for moisturizing products that are non comedogenic, meaning they won't clog pores. 
Will any ingredients in moisturizers irritate my skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
The following chemicals may result in skin irritation. tretinoin (vitamin A acid)retinol (vitamin A ...
Where have I encountered humectants?
If you have used a body cleanser with glycerin, urea or sodium lactate, you have used a humectant.