Why do moisturizers use both humectants and occlusives?

Moisturizers use humectant ingredients, such as glycerin, to draw water from the surrounding environment and lock it in. Humectants also help to hold onto water that is applied directly to the skin. Moisturizers will also incorporate oily substances called occlusives, such as petrolatum, in their formulations to boost skin' s ability to hold onto moisture by creating a film over the skin' s surface to trap water in. This film smoothes the skin and also creates a barrier that helps to prevent moisture loss.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

What are oil-in-water moisturizers?
Oil-in-water moisturizers are those in which water is the dominant carrier. Since these formulations...
Why does my skin burn when I apply my usual moisturizer?
Even people who have never had allergies can develop them later in life. You should discontinue usin...
What do dry emollients do?
Dry emollients, such as isostearyl alcohol, absorb quickly into the skin. They do not provide much s...
What are the common emollients used in skin care products?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Emollients are ingredients that soften skin and seal in moisture, creating an occlusive, protective ...