Why do moisturizers use both humectants and occlusives?

Moisturizers use humectant ingredients, such as glycerin, to draw water from the surrounding environment and lock it in. Humectants also help to hold onto water that is applied directly to the skin. Moisturizers will also incorporate oily substances called occlusives, such as petrolatum, in their formulations to boost skin' s ability to hold onto moisture by creating a film over the skin' s surface to trap water in. This film smoothes the skin and also creates a barrier that helps to prevent moisture loss.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

Why is it important to have an emollient in a moisturizer?
Emollients are used to leave the skin feeling smooth. They fill in crevices between skin cells, givi...
Could occlusives stop water loss from your skin entirely?
While water loss can be completely halted by an occlusive, once it is removed, water loss resumes at...
What are oil-in-water moisturizers?
Oil-in-water moisturizers are those in which water is the dominant carrier. Since these formulations...
Why does my skin burn when I apply my usual moisturizer?
Even people who have never had allergies can develop them later in life. You should discontinue usin...