What do emollients do?

Emollients moisturize your skin directly, instead of just attracting moisture to your skin like humectants do. They also coat your skin so it can retain its moisture. If you've used a product containing mineral oil, silicone oil or isopropyl isostearate, you've used an emollient.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

Why is it important to have a humectant in a moisturizer?
The purpose of a humectant is to draw in and hold onto moisture. Some of the most commonly used hume...
What are the ingredients of a moisturizer?
Three important ingredients in a moisturizer are humectants, occlusives and emollients. Together, th...
Can I use a moisturizer that contains oat protein if I'm allergic to oats?
If you have a known allergy to oats, you'll want to play it safe and steer clear of skin moisturizin...
Are there risks when using a moisturizer?
The potential risks with using a moisturizer depend on the ingredients they contain. The most common...