Why is it important to have an occlusive in a moisturizer?

Occlusive ingredients, such as petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil and silicones, reduce dehydration and water loss by forming a film on the skin's surface. Occlusive moisturizers can be most effective when applied to slightly wet skin, which is why dermatologists recommend that you apply a moisturizer immediately after bathing.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

What skin moisturizer ingredients can help keep my skin healthy?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Normal skin still needs special attention to ensure that it remains balanced. It is important to...
What ingredients should I look for in an after shaving moisturizer?
Look for moisturizing products that are non comedogenic, meaning they won't clog pores. 
What is an emollient?
An emollient is a type of ingredient that softens the skin and smoothes its surface.
What's a humectant?
Humectants are ingredients that retain moisture. In a body cleanser, a humectant can help draw water...