Why is it important to have an occlusive in a moisturizer?

Occlusive ingredients, such as petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil and silicones, reduce dehydration and water loss by forming a film on the skin's surface. Occlusive moisturizers can be most effective when applied to slightly wet skin, which is why dermatologists recommend that you apply a moisturizer immediately after bathing.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

Where have I encountered humectants?
If you have used a body cleanser with glycerin, urea or sodium lactate, you have used a humectant.
Why are alpha hydroxy acids added to moisturizers?
Alpha hydroxyl acids, such as lactic or glycolic acid, are added to give products exfoliating proper...
Why does my moisturizer contain lanolin?
Lanolin is a natural oil. It is a common component of moisturizers and lotions for preventing or tre...
What is stearic acid?
Stearic acid is a fatty acid that is found naturally in the protective outer layer of the skin. It i...