What is intrauterine fetal demise?

An intrauterine fetal demise is when the fetus dies while in the uterus. Prior to the diagnosis, there may be the absence of fetal movement or the absence of a fetal heart beat during a prenatal visit. The diagnosis of an intrauterine fetal demise is usually confirmed by the inability to visualize a fetal heartbeat and fetal movement on an ultrasound evaluation.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What are the after effects of childbearing loss?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Childbearing loss evokes many emotions. You may feel buffeted and torn by confusion, relief, shame, ...
How often do pregnancies end in miscarriage?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
An estimated 15 to 20 percent of known pregnancies result in miscarriage, which happens for a variet...
What Side Effects Can Colorectal Surgery Have on My Sex Life?
If I'm Pregnant, Should I Be Worried About Spotting?