What is intrauterine fetal demise?

An intrauterine fetal demise is when the fetus dies while in the uterus. Prior to the diagnosis, there may be the absence of fetal movement or the absence of a fetal heart beat during a prenatal visit. The diagnosis of an intrauterine fetal demise is usually confirmed by the inability to visualize a fetal heartbeat and fetal movement on an ultrasound evaluation.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

How can I cope with my pregnancy loss?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
After the loss, you might be stunned or shocked. You might be asking, "Why me?" You might feel guilt...
What should I know about recovering from a miscarriage?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you have had a miscarriage (even a complete miscarriage) or one is to be expected, you should kno...
Does a Miscarriage Affect the Ability to Conceive Again?
What Is Preeclampsia and Its Symptoms?
What Is Preeclampsia and Its Symptoms?