What should I do if I think I'm having a miscarriage?

Robert J. Fagnant, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If a woman feels like she is miscarrying, the first thing she should do is call the physician or her physician's office. Sometimes we don't need to do anything immediately, so we don't always request you go to the emergency room. If you are pregnant, and if you know that the pregnancy is inside the uterus and doing well and you have some spotting, the recommendation usually is just to take it easy and call your physician. At certain points in the pregnancy, it becomes important to go into labor and delivery. But in the first three or four months, call the physician first, see what the recommendations are. A lot of doctors and doctor's offices can tell you what to do so you don't overreact, but also so you don't underreact and not do anything.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What are the after effects of childbearing loss?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Childbearing loss evokes many emotions. You may feel buffeted and torn by confusion, relief, shame, ...
How long should I wait to get pregnant after a miscarriage?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
It is possible to get pregnant within the next menstrual cycle following a miscarriage. This may be ...
What Side Effects Can Colorectal Surgery Have on My Sex Life?
Do Multiple Miscarriages Mean Infertility?