What should I do if I think I'm having a miscarriage?

Robert J. Fagnant, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If a woman feels like she is miscarrying, the first thing she should do is call the physician or her physician's office. Sometimes we don't need to do anything immediately, so we don't always request you go to the emergency room. If you are pregnant, and if you know that the pregnancy is inside the uterus and doing well and you have some spotting, the recommendation usually is just to take it easy and call your physician. At certain points in the pregnancy, it becomes important to go into labor and delivery. But in the first three or four months, call the physician first, see what the recommendations are. A lot of doctors and doctor's offices can tell you what to do so you don't overreact, but also so you don't underreact and not do anything.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What is a miscarriage?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
A miscarriage is the spontaneous loss of a pregnancy. This is most commonly seen prior to 20 weeks p...
What is a miscarriage?
Also known as a spontaneous abortion, a miscarriage is defined as the loss of your pregnancy before ...
Do Multiple Miscarriages Mean Infertility?
What Is Preeclampsia and Its Symptoms?
What Is Preeclampsia and Its Symptoms?