Should I seek counseling after a miscarriage?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Every person is different with how they grieve from a miscarriage.  Some women grieve a miscarriage the same as a woman would grieve the loss of a child.  There is no right way or wrong way to grieve a miscarriage.  It has been my experience that when a patient's grief becomes somewhat pathologic and their grief is effecting their day-to-day routine as well as effecting their job, marriage, and parenting, at this time, I think they should seek some type of grievance counseling.
While most pregnancies progress according to plan, it's not a 100-percent guarantee. Since many women begin to bond with their babies the moment they miss a period or find out they are pregnant, the loss of a little one, no matter what trimester of pregnancy, can lead to feelings of sorrow, guilt, anger, and even fear that they may never be able to have a baby again.

Just as we work through the stages of grief with any other loss in our lives, it's especially important to go through the grieving process to help with healing after a miscarriage. It helps many folks to seek professional help; all delivery units have resources to help you both move on and honor the memory of your little one.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

How can I cope with my pregnancy loss?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
Every person is different with how they grieve from a miscarriage.  Some women grieve a miscarriage ...
What should I know about recovering from a miscarriage?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you have had a miscarriage (even a complete miscarriage) or one is to be expected, you should kno...
Do Multiple Miscarriages Mean Infertility?
Does a Miscarriage Affect the Ability to Conceive Again?