How often do pregnancies end in miscarriage?

An estimated 15 to 20 percent of known pregnancies result in miscarriage, which happens for a variety of reasons. Even though miscarriage happens frequently, it is often devastating for the would-be parents. A miscarriage can result in substantial grief for several months. In severe cases, it can result in post-traumatic stress disorder or depression, which if left untreated, can have serious impacts on the bereaved parents' emotional health.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
15% of all women who have a positive urine pregnancy test will miscarry.  I counsel my patients that once a heartbeat is seen on ultrasound that the miscarriage rates drop to 5%.  Once a woman gets out of the first trimester, the miscarriage rates drop to 1%.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What should I know about recovering from a miscarriage?
If you have had a miscarriage (even a complete miscarriage) or one is to be expected, you should kno...
Is it possible to have a miscarriage in the third trimester?
It is possible to suffer a loss of pregnancy in the third trimester, but this will not be termed a m...
Do Women Get Pregnant More Often than They Used To?
Do Multiple Miscarriages Mean Infertility?