How often do pregnancies end in miscarriage?

An estimated 15 to 20 percent of known pregnancies result in miscarriage, which happens for a variety of reasons. Even though miscarriage happens frequently, it is often devastating for the would-be parents. A miscarriage can result in substantial grief for several months. In severe cases, it can result in post-traumatic stress disorder or depression, which if left untreated, can have serious impacts on the bereaved parents' emotional health.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
15% of all women who have a positive urine pregnancy test will miscarry.  I counsel my patients that once a heartbeat is seen on ultrasound that the miscarriage rates drop to 5%.  Once a woman gets out of the first trimester, the miscarriage rates drop to 1%.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What is the difference between a complete and incomplete miscarriage?
A complete miscarriage is one in which pregnancy-related tissue have come out of the uterus. This ty...
Is it possible to have a miscarriage without knowing it?
Robert J. Fagnant, MDRobert J. Fagnant, MD
Miscarriages are relatively common. As a matter of fact, up to 50% of all pregnancies can end in...
What Side Effects Can Colorectal Surgery Have on My Sex Life?
Do Women Get Pregnant More Often than They Used To?