How is a miscarriage diagnosed?

An expected miscarriage of a known pregnancy may be diagnosed medically in a few ways. Your doctor may examine the cervix to note whether or not dilation has begun and conduct an ultrasound to identify signs of fetal life. Your blood may be tested for the presence of the HCG hormone. If you have managed to collect any tissue you've discharged, then this may also be tested to diagnose a miscarriage.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What is a miscarriage?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Miscarriage is when a baby dies in the womb before 20 weeks of pregnancy. Most miscarriages happen i...
Is it possible to have a miscarriage without knowing it?
Robert J. Fagnant, MDRobert J. Fagnant, MD
Miscarriages are relatively common. As a matter of fact, up to 50% of all pregnancies can end in...
Do Multiple Miscarriages Mean Infertility?
If I'm Pregnant, Should I Be Worried About Spotting?