How can I cope with my pregnancy loss?

After the loss, you might be stunned or shocked. You might be asking, "Why me?" You might feel guilty that you did or didn't do something to cause your pregnancy to end. You might feel cheated and angry. Or you might feel extremely sad as you come to terms with the baby that will never be. These emotions are all normal reactions to loss. With time, you will be able to accept the loss and move on. You will never forget your baby. But you will be able to put this chapter behind you and look forward to life ahead. To help get you through this difficult time, try some of these ideas:

• Turn to loved ones and friends for support. Share your feelings and ask for help when you need it.
     • Talk to your partner about your loss. Keep in mind that men and women cope with loss in different ways.
     • Take care of yourself. Eating healthy foods, keeping active, and getting enough sleep will help restore energy and well-being.
     • Join a support group. A support group might help you to feel less alone.
     • Do something in remembrance of your baby.
     • Seek help from a grief counselor, especially if your grief does not ease with time.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Every person is different with how they grieve from a miscarriage.  Some women grieve a miscarriage the same as a woman would grieve the loss of a child.  There is no right way or wrong way to grieve a miscarriage.  It has been my experience that when a patient's grief becomes somewhat pathologic and their grief is effecting their day-to-day routine as well as effecting their job, marriage, and parenting, at this time, I think they should seek some type of grievance counseling.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What complications are associated with miscarriage?
Although it is not very likely, the tissues related to the pregnancy could become infected. This com...
Is it possible to have a miscarriage in the third trimester?
It is possible to suffer a loss of pregnancy in the third trimester, but this will not be termed a m...
What Is Preeclampsia and Its Symptoms?
What Is Preeclampsia and Its Symptoms?
Do Multiple Miscarriages Mean Infertility?