Zinc is a natural metallic chemical and a potent antioxidant that might help to reduce bad breath by killing plaque. Some studies suggest it has some mild activity in reducing the growth of plaque. It is often used as an ingredient in lozenges for sore throats and is also included in multivitamin formulations and in mouthwashes that also contain chlorhexidine and hydrogen peroxide.
- Q Does zinc really work?
- Q How do prescription and over-the-counter zinc differ?
- Q Can zinc help shorten a cold?
- Q What herbs and supplements can interact with zinc supplements?
- Q What is the recommended dietary allowance for zinc?
- Q Who might benefit from taking zinc?