Zinc is a natural metallic chemical and a potent antioxidant that might help to reduce bad breath by killing plaque. Some studies suggest it has some mild activity in reducing the growth of plaque. It is often used as an ingredient in lozenges for sore throats and is also included in multivitamin formulations and in mouthwashes that also contain chlorhexidine and hydrogen peroxide.
- Q Do zinc supplements help with herpes simplex virus?
- Q Why is it important to get enough zinc when I'm pregnant?
- Q How does zinc work?
- Q Are zinc supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
- Q Is zinc affected by any foods?
- Q What are the risks in using zinc?