Zinc is a natural metallic chemical and a potent antioxidant that might help to reduce bad breath by killing plaque. Some studies suggest it has some mild activity in reducing the growth of plaque. It is often used as an ingredient in lozenges for sore throats and is also included in multivitamin formulations and in mouthwashes that also contain chlorhexidine and hydrogen peroxide.
- Q Is zinc affected by any foods?
- Q What is the recommended dietary allowance for zinc?
- Q What kind of zinc should I take to treat a cold?
- Q How can zinc help keep my eyes healthy?
- Q How do prescription and over-the-counter zinc differ?
- Q Are zinc supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?