Why do I need adequate amounts of calcium and vitamin D?

Calcium and vitamin D are needed for a number of important processes in the body. The most well described is development and maintenance of healthy bones. These elements also play a role in nerve, muscle and cell growth and in the body's defense against infection.
David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Lack of calcium in your diet -- as well as conditions that may interfere with calcium absorption by the intestines -- results in lower calcium levels in the blood. The body compensates by releasing calcium from the bones, weakening them. Your body needs vitamin D to properly absorb calcium, so adequate amounts of this hormone are also necessary.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Is it better to get iron from supplements or from the foods I eat?
Many supplements may contain more iron than food, but iron found in food is better absorbed than iro...
What do balanced levels of potassium and sodium prevent?
Maintaining a diet that balances your body's levels of potassium and sodium can aid in preventing an...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young