Why do I need adequate amounts of calcium and vitamin D?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Lack of calcium in your diet -- as well as conditions that may interfere with calcium absorption by the intestines -- results in lower calcium levels in the blood. The body compensates by releasing calcium from the bones, weakening them. Your body needs vitamin D to properly absorb calcium, so adequate amounts of this hormone are also necessary.
Calcium and vitamin D are needed for a number of important processes in the body. The most well described is development and maintenance of healthy bones. These elements also play a role in nerve, muscle and cell growth and in the body's defense against infection.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
How are minerals categorized?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Minerals are classified into two categories: major and minor. This classification is determined by t...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young