Why is calcium necessary for my child?

Calcium is a mineral that helps make bones and teeth strong. Without enough calcium, bones become weak and may break easily. Calcium is needed all during life to prevent the bone disorder osteoporosis.

Children with chronic illnesses like arthritis and renal failure may have continued calcium loss. This may lead to an increased risk of bone fractures. Some children take medicines, like prednisone, that may also cause calcium loss. It is important for these children to get plenty of calcium and/or calcium supplements in their diet.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fou...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
What is the estimated daily intake of minerals by an adult human male?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The estimated daily intake of minerals by an adult human male is as follows: Calcium -- 800 mg ...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young