Why is calcium so important to older women after menopause?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

Bones and teeth together contain 99% of the body's calcium. It is especially important to women to strengthen bone mass with calcium after menopause. Calcium phosphate actually adds strength to bones by hardening the outside of the bone. By adding calcium to your diet, bones can be strengthened and the risk of fracture can be reduced.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
Is silicone safe?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Silicone is a safe material that is virtually everywhere in our modern society. It is used to co...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young