Why is calcium so important to older women after menopause?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

Bones and teeth together contain 99% of the body's calcium. It is especially important to women to strengthen bone mass with calcium after menopause. Calcium phosphate actually adds strength to bones by hardening the outside of the bone. By adding calcium to your diet, bones can be strengthened and the risk of fracture can be reduced.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fou...
How much ferrous sulfate should I take?
Your dose of ferrous sulfate may depend on your reasons for taking this supplement. You should discu...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young