Who should not take copper?

Do not take copper if you have biliary, liver or Wilson's disease. If you take copper supplements and have biliary or liver disease, the copper levels in your blood may become dangerously high. Wilson's disease is caused by a surplus of copper in the blood, so taking copper supplements will only worsen this disease.

Do not take copper if you already consume a lot of copper or get a sufficient amount in your diet, as even a small surplus of copper can make you ill. As little as 10 mg. may cause upset stomach, 60 mg. may cause vomiting and 3.5 grams may cause death. Taking too much copper, or taking copper over a long period of time, can lead to cirrhosis of the liver.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fou...
Why are trace minerals important?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
A thimble could easily contain the distillation of all the trace minerals normally found in your bod...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young