What are the side effects of calcium?

Side effects of calcium supplements include gas, bloating and constipation. To minimize these side effects, take no more than 500 milligrams (mg) of calcium at a time, and take it with a meal. If that doesn’t help, try a different form of calcium supplement (calcium carbonate seems more likely to cause problems than calcium citrate) or a different brand.  

Some studies have suggested that calcium supplements can raise your risk for kidney stones. The evidence isn't clear, but to protect yourself, don't get more than 2,500 mg per day from food and supplements combined.

Some controversial research has suggested that suddenly increasing the amount of calcium you get from supplements can raise your risk of cardiovascular disease. However, more study is needed to know if that danger is real.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Can mineral supplements lower blood glucose levels?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many minerals, including chromium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc, have been promoted by popular maga...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young