Advertisement

What should I do if I take too much ferrous sulfate?

Get immediate medical attention, call 911. It can be very dangerous to take too much ferrous sulfate or any iron supplement. If you have taken too much, you must immediately seek emergency medical attention. This is especially true if your child has taken too much. In children, overdoses of iron supplements can be fatal.

The symptoms of an overdose may include:
  • Nausea
  • Severe stomach pain
  • Bloody diarrhea
  • Coughing up blood or vomit, which may look like coffee grounds
  • Shallow breathing
  • Weak and rapid pulse
  • Pale skin
  • Blue lips
  • Seizures or convulsions

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
Read More
Is chocolate a good source of iron and minerals?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Quality chocolate made with a good amount of cocoa powder is rich in iron and minerals. You can ...
More Answers
Which mineral in cod fish helps keep my immune system strong?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about cod fish.
More Answers
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.