What should I do if I take too much ferrous sulfate?

Get immediate medical attention, call 911. It can be very dangerous to take too much ferrous sulfate or any iron supplement. If you have taken too much, you must immediately seek emergency medical attention. This is especially true if your child has taken too much. In children, overdoses of iron supplements can be fatal.

The symptoms of an overdose may include:
  • Nausea
  • Severe stomach pain
  • Bloody diarrhea
  • Coughing up blood or vomit, which may look like coffee grounds
  • Shallow breathing
  • Weak and rapid pulse
  • Pale skin
  • Blue lips
  • Seizures or convulsions

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What is boron?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Boron is a naturally occurring trace element found in soil, plants, and metal deposits. Trace elemen...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young