What minerals do I need in my diet?

A number of minerals are found in either large or trace amounts in our bodies, all of which are necessary for basic metabolic function. Magnesium, potassium, sodium, chloride, sulfur, and phosphorus are, like calcium, needed in relatively large quantities. Usually, our food provides sufficient quantities of all these minerals; in the case of sodium, we may get far more than we need. Minerals that we need in trace amounts include chromium, copper, cobalt, iodine, iron, fluoride, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and zinc. Our bodies demand these in much smaller amounts, and we generally get them from our diet. Although silicon, vanadium, nickel, lithium, cadmium, and boron are other trace minerals we seem to need, science knows much less about these.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
How does cobalt affect the body?
Cobalt is used in the body to help absorb and process vitamin B12. In addition, cobalt helps tre...
What are micronutrients?
Micronutrients are all the vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and other chemicals we need in small ...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young