What minerals do I need in my diet?

A number of minerals are found in either large or trace amounts in our bodies, all of which are necessary for basic metabolic function. Magnesium, potassium, sodium, chloride, sulfur, and phosphorus are, like calcium, needed in relatively large quantities. Usually, our food provides sufficient quantities of all these minerals; in the case of sodium, we may get far more than we need. Minerals that we need in trace amounts include chromium, copper, cobalt, iodine, iron, fluoride, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and zinc. Our bodies demand these in much smaller amounts, and we generally get them from our diet. Although silicon, vanadium, nickel, lithium, cadmium, and boron are other trace minerals we seem to need, science knows much less about these.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What can cause high selenium levels?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
The amount of selenium in foods varies widely, as it depends on the selenium content of the soil whe...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young