What should I know before taking manganese?

There are certain precautions you should be aware of before taking manganese. An overdose that exceeds the maximum daily allowance (around 11 milligrams for adults) can be toxic to the body, so be aware of the amount you are taking. If you have a condition like liver disease that causes your body to store manganese, you should be extra careful with how much manganese you ingest. People with illnesses of the kidneys or the bile duct might experience negative reactions from manganese as well.

Pregnant and breastfeeding women should use caution while taking manganese, as they may cause damage to their children if they take too much. Additionally, manganese may react poorly with certain antibiotics, decreasing the effectiveness of those drugs. Finally, be sure not to expose manganese supplements to heat or moisture, which can cause them not to work properly.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What can happen if I consume too much sodium or phosphorus?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Having too much of one major mineral can result in a deficiency of another. Calcium binds with exces...
What does cobalt do?
Working with vitamin B12, cobalt helps regulate and stimulate the body to produce certain enzyme...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young