What is manganese used for?

Manganese supplements are used to increase the amount of manganese in the bodies of people with a deficiency. Manganese is an important mineral that aids in key bodily functions. These include bone growth and the breaking down of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Manganese supplements may be used to treat conditions such as diabetes, osteoporosis (brittle bones), epilepsy, and high cholesterol, which are characterized by a lack of manganese.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
What can happen if I consume too much sodium or phosphorus?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Having too much of one major mineral can result in a deficiency of another. Calcium binds with exces...
What should I know about cobalt before taking it?
Before taking cobalt, there are certain facts you should know. Most of the time a cobalt supplem...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young