What is ferrous sulfate?

Ferrous sulfate is the most commonly used iron supplment. Iron is a mineral required for your body to produce hemoglobin, the component of red blood cells responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body. The other common ferrous salts are ferrous gluconate and ferrous fumerate.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
At what age should I start taking iron supplements?
Talk to your doctor to determine if you need iron supplements. People who may need supplements inclu...
What is the role of minerals in my body?
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
The body needs, and stores, fairly large amounts of the major minerals. These minerals are no more i...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young