What is copper?

Copper is a mineral that enables your body to grow and stay healthy. If you do not get sufficient copper in your diet, you may require copper supplements. Foods that contain copper include whole grains, nuts, seafood, beans and organ meat (particularly liver). When taken as a supplement, copper may be used to treat arthritis or anemia, to prevent heart disease and to enhance immunity. You also may require copper supplements when certain conditions increase your need for copper, including kidney, pancreas or intestine disease, burns, diarrhea, removal of the stomach and continuing stress. Copper may be added to intravenous nutrition in the form of cupric chloride. Copper also may be found under the names copper salicylate, copper picolinate, copper gluconate and copper sulfate.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Who should not take cobalt supplements?
There are no known contraindications to cobalt. However, since cobalt is an integral component o...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young