What is the effect of too much iron in my diet?

The consequences of taking too much iron can be grave. Iron overload can be life-threatening and, not surprisingly, may make your RealAge (physiologic age) older. Perhaps this news sounds surprising. After all, most of us were raised with cartoon images of Popeye gulping down spinach to revitalize his strength. We all thought we needed our iron. Don't get me wrong, spinach is good. However, needless iron in supplements ages us. Avoid iron unless it is prescribed for you by a physician.

Iron stays in the body for a long time and, when present in large amounts, can be toxic. Even slightly excessive levels of iron in the body can be damaging. Too much iron may interfere with our zinc levels. Studies have linked elevated iron levels with increased rates of cardiovascular disease and cancers. Although in both cases the evidence is somewhat preliminary, and we still need to do more studies to prove the links, taking extra iron is not worth the risk.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What can happen if I consume too much sodium or phosphorus?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Having too much of one major mineral can result in a deficiency of another. Calcium binds with exces...
How does chromium affect people with diabetes?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Chromium is one of the most common elements in the earth's crust and seawater. It exists in our envi...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young