What should I do if I overdose on calcium?

Calcium supplements are generally nontoxic, but if you take too much, you may feel sick. You could have a stomachache, get constipated or have diarrhea, develop a headache or find your heart beating irregularly. Call your doctor or Poison Control (1-800-222-1222) for advice.

A greater concern than a single overdose is getting too much over a long period of time. Some research suggests that taking more than 1,000 or 1,200 milligrams (mg) of calcium a day may, over time, increase the risk of a heart attack. Research is continuing to try to confirm or dismiss that concern. Other studies suggest that getting even more calcium (more than 2,000 mg per day) through diet may increase the risk of prostate cancer.

Calcium is found in many foods and over-the-counter antacids. Consider all the sources of calcium in your diet and supplements to make sure you are not taking too much.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
How does chromium affect people with diabetes?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Chromium is one of the most common elements in the earth's crust and seawater. It exists in our envi...
Does cobalt really work to improve health?
Cobalt is known to work effectively in the body and is necessary to maintain your health. Cobalt...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young