Should I talk with my doctor before taking ferrous sulfate?

Taking ferrous sulfate, an iron supplement, may offer health benefits, but first talk with your doctor or healthcare provider. There are many different types of iron supplements and you should read and understand the package labels and be aware of the specific dosing instructions. Ferrous sulfate is usually taken for anemia, a lack of red blood cells. But it’s possible that other conditions may be mistaken for anemia. If this happens, taking iron could actually be dangerous.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Is it better to get iron from supplements or from the foods I eat?
Many supplements may contain more iron than food, but iron found in food is better absorbed than iro...
What are non-essential minerals?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The non-essential minerals are minerals that are not required for human nutrition. In fact, many of ...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young