Should I take a potassium supplement?

Kate Geagan
Focus on food, not supplements. Unless you are under the specific advice of your health-care professional, think "food first" rather than popping a potassium supplement, as supplements don't seem to deliver the same health benefits, and can carry a greater risk of consuming unsafe levels.
Under no circumstances should you take potassium supplements, unless advised to do so by your doctor, as overdosing can be a problem. Although most of us do not consume the optimal amount of potassium, actual potassium deficiencies are truly rare, except in people with very specific medical conditions. Because certain medications may deplete potassium supplies, supplements may be advised, but they should be taken only under strict medical supervision. Remember, too, that increasing potassium intake can actually cause aging in people who have kidney disease or are taking certain medications, so talk to your doctor before increasing your potassium intake.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What is the role of minerals in my body?
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
The body needs, and stores, fairly large amounts of the major minerals. These minerals are no more i...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young