Should I take an iron supplement if I donate blood?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
When you lose blood, you lose iron, too. If you are a regular blood donor, you may need extra iron: an estimated 3 to 4 mg more per day for each unit of blood you donate during the course of a year. Talk with your doctor about this first to be safe, though.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
What is strontium?
Strontium is a powerful supplement that will provide crucial protection to your bones, preventing br...
Do chromium supplements help manage diabetes?
Chromium is a nutrient that plays an important role in helping the body use insulin more efficiently...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young