How should I take iron?

Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD

Iron is best absorbed only with certain foods or beverages. Acidity and vitamin C aid with iron absorption. Therefore, I recommend citrus or tomato juices when taking an iron supplement. If you are consuming iron rich foods, I also recommend pairing them with something with these characteristics. For example, having a spinach (iron source) salad with mandarin orange slices (vitamin C and acidic). Dairy products, however, are not recommended since iron and calcium compete for absorption via the same pathway.

Iron may come in tablet, capsule, or liquid form. Follow your doctor's exact instructions. Typically, iron is taken one to four times per day between meals. It should be taken on an empty stomach if possible. If this causes stomach upset, you can take it with food. Generally, iron should be taken one hour before or two hours after eating.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What is cobalt?
Cobalt is a mineral found in nature, generally in the crust of the earth and used in a variety o...
Can mineral supplements lower blood glucose levels?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many minerals, including chromium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc, have been promoted by popular maga...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young