What should I know about cobalt before taking it?

Before taking cobalt, there are certain facts you should know. Most of the time a cobalt supplement is not necessary. Since you only need small amounts of cobalt, you receive adequate amounts of it in the food you eat. However, if you have a vitamin B12 deficiency, you may also have a cobalt deficiency. Additionally, if you are vegetarian or vegan, you may be at risk for a deficiency. There are no specific recommendations on the daily amount that you should have, but eight mcg. is suggested as the amount that is needed in the diet. Excessive amounts of cobalt can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, rashes and hot flashes.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why should pregnant women and young children limit mercury consumption?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Because fetuses and young children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of mercury, it is part...
At what age should I start taking iron supplements?
Talk to your doctor to determine if you need iron supplements. People who may need supplements inclu...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young