What is the role of copper in my body?

Jeannette O. Graf, MD
Dermatology
Copper plays a critical role in the body's health and in every organ system; it's antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and promotes heart health and healing. Watch as I explain the benefits of copper to our overall health.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Copper functions as an important factor in the manufacture of hemoglobin; collagen structures, particularly joints and arteries; and energy. Copper deficiency is characterized by anemia, fatigue, poor wound healing, elevated cholesterol levels, and poor immune function. Since a deficiency of copper produces a marked elevation of cholesterol, copper deficiency has been suggested to play a major role in the development of atherosclerosis. There is additional evidence to support this as recent surveys indicate that less than 25 percent of Americans appear to meet the RDA of 2 mg of copper.

However, there is also evidence that because of copper-lined water pipes, many Americans are getting too much copper in their diets. Excessive copper levels have been linked to schizophrenia, learning disabilities, premenstrual syndrome, and anxiety. Many of the problems caused by copper can be offset by zinc because zinc and copper compete for absorption sites. If there is too much zinc, copper absorption will be decreased and vice versa. In nature, foods rich in copper are even higher in zinc. Nuts and legumes are a good example of this.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What foods are good dietary sources of minerals?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Since plants incorporate minerals from the soil into their own tissues, fruits, vegetables, grains, ...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young