How does iron treat anemia?

Iron deficiency anemia is a condition in which the body has too few red blood cells because of lo iron levels. The body needs iron to form hemoglobin and produce red blood cells. Most of the time, our diets provide the iron we need. However, if the body has too few red blood cells because of poor diet, excessive bleeding, pregnancy, or other medical conditions, then iron may need to be added as a supplement.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Is chocolate a good source of iron and minerals?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Quality chocolate made with a good amount of cocoa powder is rich in iron and minerals. You can ...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young