How does iron interact with medications or food?

Tell your doctor of all the medicines, supplements, or vitamins that you take (prescription or over-the-counter). There are certain medicines that must be taken three hours after or two hours before taking iron. These are: ciprofloxacin (Cipro), demeclocycline, doxycycline, levofloxacin (Levaquin), lomefloxacin (Maxaquin), methacycline, minocycline, nalidixic acid (NegGram), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), oxytetracycline, or tetracycline. You also should not take antacids at the same time you take iron. You should take antacids as far from the time you take iron as possible.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Is chocolate a good source of iron and minerals?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Quality chocolate made with a good amount of cocoa powder is rich in iron and minerals. You can ...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young