Should I let my doctor know I am taking potassium supplement?

Yes, you should only take potassium supplements under the direction of your doctor. Some forms of potassium supplementation require a doctor's prescription. Even if an over-the-counter formulation is used, your doctor will still need to monitor your potassium levels with laboratory tests over time.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why does my body need minerals?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Minerals are an inorganic substance that are essential for human life. They also plays a role in m...
Why are trace minerals important?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
A thimble could easily contain the distillation of all the trace minerals normally found in your bod...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young