How should I take ferrous sulfate?

When taking a ferrous sulfate, follow your doctor’s directions exactly. Carefully read the product’s label. Be sure to discuss any concerns with your doctor. In addition:

• Take the proper dose and only for as long as prescribed.
• Changing the dose periodically may provide more benefits and reduce adverse reactions.
• Take on an empty stomach, one hour before or two hours after eating.
• If stomach upset causes a problem, take with food.
• Take in divided doses if one dose causes problems.
• Tablets should be swallowed whole. Don’t crush, chew, cut or split tablets.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Which minerals are important for healthy bones?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Phosphorus and a number of other minerals, such as magnesium, potassium and zinc, have critical role...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young