How should I take potassium supplements?

The correct way to take potassium supplements varies based on the formulation and salt form your doctor has recommended. If you are taking a liquid potassium supplement, you should dilute the liquid in four ounces of juice or water before drinking. If you are taking extended-release capsules or tablets, swallow the medication whole with eight ounces of water, and never crush, chew or dissolve the medication in your mouth. If you are taking soluble granules, powder or tablets, dissolve the medicine in four ounces of liquid. Wait for the fizzing to stop, and then drink the solution. For all forms of potassium, the dose should be taken with food to reduce possible stomach upset. Of course, always follow the directions of your doctor or pharmacist when taking supplements. More potassium than recommended may cause harm; never take more than your doctor recommends.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fou...
What are micronutrients?
ChuiceChuice
Micronutrients are chemical compounds that are needed in small quantities but play a vital role in r...
What minerals do I need in my diet?
A number of minerals are found in either large or trace amounts in our bodies, all of which are nece...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young