How much calcium should my child get?

Toby Smithson

Calcium requirements vary by age. According to the National Institutes of Health, children between ages 1 and 3 require 700 milligrams of calcium/day; children 4-8 years of age require 1000 milligrams/day; and children 9-13 years of age require 1300 milligrams calcium/day. Calcium is best absorbed through food. The best sources of calcium come from milk, yogurt and cheese. An 8 ounce glass of milk contains 300 milligrams of calcium and yogurts will vary, so check the nutrition facts panel for a product to have at least 30% calcium (which is equivalent to 300 milligrams calcium).

Here are the Institute of Medicine recommendations on calcium intake to match the needs of most healthy children in each age group:
  • Children ages 1 - 3 -- 700 mg per day (about 2 one-cup servings of milk)
  • Children ages 4 - 8 -- 1000 mg per day (about 3 one-cup servings of milk)
  • Children ages 9 - 18 -- 1300 mg per day (about 4 one-cup servings of milk)
From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...
Heather R. Mangieri

Getting adequate calcium is so important throughout the child and adolescent years. Children ages 1-3 need ~700 mg/day calcium, ages 4-8 need 1,000 mg/day and ages 9-18 need 1,300 mg/day. Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich natural sources of calcium and are the major food contributors of this nutrient to people in the United States. Some kids friendly choices include: string cheese, yogurt, milk, grilled cheese, pudding and calcium-fortified orange juice. Other good sources include: kale, broccoli, tofu, sardines, cottage cheese and canned salmon. Be sure to select 3-4 serving per day to get an adequate intake.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
How much ferrous sulfate should I take?
Your dose of ferrous sulfate may depend on your reasons for taking this supplement. You should discu...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young