How does zinc work?

Zinc has been used for a variety of different purposes throughout history. It helps in the function of the immune system, reproduction, growth, sensory perception, blood clotting, insulin regulation and thyroid function. Zinc also serves as an antioxidant by protecting cells from free radicals.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
What is the role of minerals in my body?
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
The body needs, and stores, fairly large amounts of the major minerals. These minerals are no more i...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young