How does chromium work?

Chromium is an essential trace element that plays a role in blood sugar metabolism by enhancing insulin's effects and assisting in the thousands of necessary chemical reactions that occur in your body. Some studies have also suggested that supplementing with chromium may help you gain muscle and lose fat, but there isn’t enough solid research to support that claim.

It's unclear how it works exactly to lower blood sugar; however, some experts believe it works on insulin receptors, enhancing its effects on the body and lowering blood sugar levels. Some studies suggest that it can also increase the number of insulin receptors in the body, making it more effective at lowering blood sugar.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
What can cause high selenium levels?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
The amount of selenium in foods varies widely, as it depends on the selenium content of the soil whe...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young