How can my calcium intake affect my risk of cancer?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Many observational studies show that people whose diets are rich in calcium and dairy products tend to have a lower risk of colon cancer. Less certain are findings that suggest some protective effect for lung and breast cancer. However, some studies have linked calcium and dairy intake to ovarian cancer and prostate cancer. Data from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study found that men who got more than 2,000 mg of calcium a day were almost three times as likely to develop advanced prostate cancer as men who got less than 500 mg a day. The Nurses' Health Study investigators noted that milk, which is a major source of calcium, might contain another substance that raises ovarian cancer risk. The risk, if it is real, is probably not caused by calcium itself -- since calcium supplements seem safe for women -- but by the high levels of natural hormones found in milk.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
What is boron?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Boron is a naturally occurring trace element found in soil, plants, and metal deposits. Trace elemen...
What are minerals?
Minerals are natural, non-living materials that your body needs to stay healthy. There are two types...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young