What may I take if I find I have an iron deficiency in my diet?

If you are iron-deficient, a doctor may prescribe daily iron supplements, which are available in over-the-counter and prescription forms. Most iron tablets contain ferrous or ferric non-heme iron, but some now contain heme iron as well. In general, iron supplements are best absorbed on an empty stomach because an acidic stomach helps to absorb iron. However, certain supplements may cause side effects like nausea and constipation so take them with food and increase your fiber intake, if that's the case.

Symptoms of iron-deficiency
  • Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Decreased performance at work or school
  • Sore and swollen tongue and lips
  • Paleness
  • Intolerance to cold
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
What can cause high selenium levels?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
The amount of selenium in foods varies widely, as it depends on the selenium content of the soil whe...
What are good sources of iron for vegetarians?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The following foods are vegetarian-friendly sources of iron: Dried beans Dark green vegetables s...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young