What may I take if I find I have an iron deficiency in my diet?

If you are iron-deficient, a doctor may prescribe daily iron supplements, which are available in over-the-counter and prescription forms. Most iron tablets contain ferrous or ferric non-heme iron, but some now contain heme iron as well. In general, iron supplements are best absorbed on an empty stomach because an acidic stomach helps to absorb iron. However, certain supplements may cause side effects like nausea and constipation so take them with food and increase your fiber intake, if that's the case.

Symptoms of iron-deficiency
  • Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Decreased performance at work or school
  • Sore and swollen tongue and lips
  • Paleness
  • Intolerance to cold
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
How does chromium affect people with diabetes?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Chromium is one of the most common elements in the earth's crust and seawater. It exists in our envi...
Is silicone safe?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Silicone is a safe material that is virtually everywhere in our modern society. It is used to co...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young